Where does man fit into the big picture? Many of us lack understanding of who we are and what purpose we serve. What I learned in my Tuesday night class “Manhood,” taught by Pastor James Young, is that it boils down to a matter of God’s Kingdom vs. Religion. The fall of man left a vacuum; an emptiness left in man as a result of his separation from God. Religion is man’s response to the vacuum. In other words, religion is man trying to find reason, purpose, and the significance of our purpose.
People everywhere are the same, looking for the same answers to the same questions, Who am I? Where did I come from? Why am I here? Where am I going? God has a plan and it was revealed when His son Jesus Christ began His ministry saying, “The Kingdom of God is at hand, repent, and believe in the Gospel” (Mark 1:14-15). So God has called man to be His family and have dominion over the earth, as was originally in motion (Gen 1:26-28). All in all, the Gospel of the Kingdom answers the most sought questions of mankind:
- Who am I? A being created in the image and likeness of God.
- Where did I come from? Created created and made me.
- Why am I here? To love God and my neighbor and to reign on earth.
- Where am I going? It depends on the choices that I make.
- Can I beat death, and if so, how? I don’t have to. Jesus has already defeated death for me.